AWS Database Services Call for Proposals - Fall 2023
About this CFP
AWS solicits gift-funded research proposals with innovative approaches to designing, building, or operating large-scale database services or distributed cloud services with a strong data management component. Proposals should seek to advance the state-of-the-art in database management and distributed systems in the following topic areas:
- Intelligent database services in which machine learning techniques are applied to optimize the configuration or operation of the system, including efficient resource management.
- Global database services where data is distributed and replicated in multiple regions of the world while the system ensures consistency, performance, and data sovereignty.
- Correct database services whose design and operation includes formal methods, model checking, fuzzing, and other techniques for ensuring that the system performs according to a specification.
- Private and secure database services that incorporate homomorphic encryption, secure multi-party protocols, differential privacy, or other techniques to protect data at rest while permitting complex queries.
- Real-time database services for predictive analytics where frequently ingested data feeds into continuous queries,
Submission period: September 21, 2023 - November 13, 2023 (11:59PM Pacific Time)
Decision letters will be sent out March 2024
Selected Principal Investigators (PIs) may receive the following:
- Unrestricted funds, no more than $100,000 USD on average
- AWS Promotional Credits, no more than $40,000 USD on average
- Training resources, including AWS tutorials and hands-on sessions with Amazon scientists and engineers
Awards are structured as one-year unrestricted gifts. The budget should include a list of expected costs specified in USD, and should not include administrative overhead costs. The final award amount will be determined by the awards panel.
Please refer to the ARA Program rules on the Rules and Eligibility page.
Proposals should be prepared according to the proposal template. No third parties should be involved in the projects.
AWS Database Services will make the funding decisions based on the potential impact to the research community and , quality of the scientific content and relevance to Amazon strategic directions.
Expectations from recipients
To the extent deemed reasonable, Award recipients should acknowledge the support from ARA. Award recipients will inform ARA of publications, presentations, code and data releases, blogs/social media posts, and other speaking engagements referencing the results of the supported research or the Award. Award recipients are expected to provide updates and feedback to ARA via surveys or reports on the status of their research. Award recipients will have an opportunity to work with ARA on an informational statement about the awarded project that may be used to generate visibility for their institutions and ARA.